In SketchUp, you can import and export STL files, which are used in 3D printing. As explained in 3D Printing a Model, for a SketchUp model to become a successful 3D printout, the model needs to meet certain criteria, such as having a base and a volume and being a solid.
How do I edit STL files in SketchUp?
File > Import.
Before you can edit an STL file, you need to import it into Sketchup. Open Sketchup. Navigate to “file” and select “import.” In the bottom right drop down menu select “STL.” Click on the file you want to use and select “import.”
What programs can open STL files?
Programs that open STL files
- Microsoft 3D Viewer. Free.
- Microsoft Print 3D. Free.
- IMSI TurboCAD Pro. Free Trial.
- GOM Inspect. Free.
- ideaMK STL Viewer. Free.
- Parametric Technology Creo. Free Trial.
- Dassault Systemes CATIA. Paid.
- MeshLab. Free.
What 3D files can SketchUp open?
Using SketchUp Data with Other Modeling Programs or Tools
|File Type||File Extension(s)||SketchUp Pro and Shop Only?|
|CAD files||.dwg , .dxf||PRO and SHOP only|
|Image files||.jpg , .png , .tif , .bmp , .psd , .tga , .epx , .pdf , .eps||Some file types are PRO and SHOP only|
Can SketchUp save as STL?
To export your model as an STL file, install the SketchUp STL extension from the SketchUp Team. … This extension, which is also available via the 3D Warehouse, enables you to export any model you create as an STL file. You can also import STL files that were created in other modeling programs into SketchUp.
Can I use SketchUp for 3D printing?
An Easy-to-use 3D Sketching Tool:
We may receive a little bit of criticism for this post, but yes, we love Sketchup for 3D Printing! … Tinkercad and 123D Design are 2 of Sketchup’s biggest rivals, both free and both easy to use. Previously owned by Google, Sketchup is simply a “3D Sketching Tool”.
Is Google SketchUp free?
SketchUp Free is licensed for personal use only. … Trimble Connect is also linked to the SketchUp Viewer mobile app (Android, iPhone), so you can pull up any of your models right on your phone and view them.
How do I convert STL files to photos?
How to Convert 2D Images into 3D STL Files
- Step 1: Overview. The basic principle is to take a regular 2D image (in BMP format) and translate the image’s gray shades into a 3D height map (Figures 1 and 2). …
- Step 2: Convert the Image to BMP Format. …
- Step 3: Create the STL File. …
- Step 4: Edit the STL File. …
- Step 5: Cut the Unwanted Details. …
- Step 6: Save.
11 июл. 2017 г.
Can AutoCAD open STL files?
Automesher application can import STL file and create polyface mesh, 3d solid, points, faces or lines that exactly represent imported 3D model in AutoCAD drawing.
What does an STL file do?
This file format is supported by many other software packages; it is widely used for rapid prototyping, 3D printing and computer-aided manufacturing. STL files describe only the surface geometry of a three-dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes.
Can you import DWG into SketchUp free?
You can import CAD files into SketchUp Shop, but not our Free web version. This is one of the many features you can get by unlocking a Shop subscription here. Currently, the only available formats for import in SketchUp Free for Web are these: SKP.
Can you export from SketchUp free?
You can try exporting to Collada (. dae) from SketchUp Free or SketchUp Make 2017 (the last free desktop version) and then using the free Autodesk FBX converter to convert it to FBX.
Can you print from SketchUp?
To print your model in Microsoft Windows, you can select File > Print, click OK, and your model prints using the existing settings. … When you need to print a SketchUp model, see whether inserting your model in a LayOut document provides the flexibility and options you need for a top-notch printout.
How do you make an STL file?
To save a model or a model assembly in STL Format:
- File > Save As (Save As dialog box opens)
- From the Save as type drop-down menu select STL (*.stl)
- Click Options.
- The Export Options dialog box will display the file in a tessellated view.
- File Format selection is STL.
How do I convert STL to OBJ?
How to convert STL files to OBJ online?
- Upload STL-file. Click “Choose File” button to select a stl file on your computer. STL file size can be up to 50 Mb.
- Convert STL to OBJ. Click “Convert” button to start conversion.
- Download your OBJ. When the conversion process is complete, you can download the OBJ file.